Runner beans are one of my favourite summer vegetables, as soon as we hit August we have an abundance growing in the vegetable patch. When I was small my best friend Melissa and I would pick them off the vine and over indulge, so I have fond memories of the runner bean!
They really are best steamed with a little salt and served simply as a side dish. However, I created this recipe to bring together the bounty of what we have growing in the garden this summer.
You can have this as a salad for lunch or as a side to cold meats and fresh bread. This will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
200g Green/Purple Beans
200g Pre Cooked Mixed Beans (canned)
4 Large Tomatoes
1 Red Onion
1 Tsp Mustard
1 Juice of Lemon
2 Tbsp Oil
1/2 Tbsp Balsamic Olive Oil
1 Tsp Sugar
A Large handful of Parsley
- Top and tail the green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Place in a pan, pour over 1/2 cup of boiling water and 1/2 tsp of salt, place a lid on the pan and boil for 4-5 minutes, drain, then plunge into cold water
- Hull the tomatoes and cut into bite size pieces (not too small)
- Roughly chop the parsley
- Finely dice the red onion
- Make the dressing by mixing the lemon juice, sugar, oil, balsamic, mustard and season well.
- Drain the canned beans and wash well
- Bring all the ingredients together, dress before serving, fold in the parsley and season to taste