Broccoli without a doubt is my favourite vegetable, easy to cook, but bursting with fresh flavours. It is often served as side dish, but this recipe elevates it to the star of the show. Our broccoli has just started to come through in our garden. The variety we grow is called purple sprouting, and indeed it is a very deep green/ purple, sadly as soon as it hits boiling water, its namesake is lost as the colour seeps into the water.
Broccoli is often served hot, however it is lovely dressed in a little oil and served cold in a green salad. You can easily get hold of purple sprouting broccoli from your local farm shop, it is definitely worth getting hold of it whilst it is in season.
As soon as the weather has even glimpses of sunshine we are out dinning alfresco…even if we are huddled in jumpers and blankets. This recipe is in honor of those early spring days, served with a fresh spring salad, hot Jersey potatoes and warm quiche, it is enough to keep you warm whilst dreaming of summer days to come.
I have used poached salmon for this recipe, however if you prefer, you can also use smoked. To keep it vegetarian, you can sure a mild blue cheese for a little extra flavour.
200g Plain Flour
50g Butter- cubed
50g Lard – cubed
½ Tsp Salt
Cold Water to bind
Juice ½ Lemon
200 ml Double Cream
Salt and Pepper to season
- Place flour, salt, butter and lard into a bowl
- Rub together to form resemble breadcrumbs
- Add enough water to form a ball
- Roll out to fit a 20cm pie/flan dish
- Prick the base cover with cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Pre heat oven to 180 blind bake (place grease proof in the bottom the pour over baking beans/dried beans/uncooked rice) for 20 minutes, remove the baking sheet and baking beans (or whatever you used) and bake for a further 5 minutes
- Leave to cool
- Reduce the oven to 160
- Place the salmon in a pan cover with water and lemon juice, bring to a gentle simmer for 8-10 minutes or until cooked
- Remove from the pan and leave to cool
- Break the broccoli into florets, or remove some of the leaves if you are using purple sprouting. Place the broccoli in a pan with 2 tbsp of boiling water. Cover with a lid. Cook for 2 minutes, drain and place in a bowl of cold water
- Wisk the eggs, milk, cream and seasoning. Pour into the pastry dish. Flake in the salmon distributing evenly, do the same with the broccoli. Place teaspoons of mascarpone in the filling and bake for 35-40 minutes
- Leave till warm or enjoy cold!